Hardware Support Guidelines
Hardware support is provided by ITS for all Baylor computer devices. ITS staff must have certification from the vendor in order to fix hardware issues and replace parts covered under the vendor warranty. Items purchased outside the Technology Purchasing Policy will receive no hardware support. Support services and levels comply with the ITS Support Policy.
I. Support Levels:
- Baylor Standard Systems – All computer devices recommended and purchased through the Baylor Technology Procurement website.
- Baylor Non-Standard Systems – All computer devices that are not recommended, but have been purchased through the approved technology procurement process. Examples of these devices include specialized computer hardware, non-standard printers, etc.
- Other – All computer devices that ITS staff is not certified to maintain but have been purchased through the approved technology procurement process.
II. Support Services - Services include diagnosing computing equipment for any hardware issues, purchasing parts, installing and disposal of defective parts when needed. Customers will be notified or another ITS division will be contacted if an incident is determined not to be related to a hardware failure.
- Full Support – is given to all Baylor Standard Systems.
- Limited Support – is given to all Baylor Non-Standard Systems and includes all services listed under full support, but at a lower priority.
- No support – no services are provided for other products that ITS staff is not certified to maintain.
III. Repair Costs:
A. ITS Hardware Shop is certified and will cover the cost of repair for all computer devices that fall under full and limited support with the following exceptions:
B. A service agreement must be purchased as part of the approved technology procurement process for any devices that ITS staff is not certified to repair. In the event that maintenance is required, it is the responsibility of the department to contact the vendor directly and arrange for the maintenance needed.
- Any cost associated with accidental breakage is covered up to $500. Any amount over $500 will be the responsibility of the department. An uninsured loss claim will be the responsibility of the department.
- Any cost associated with loss, abuse, or replacement of expendables or consumables, such as batteries or printer toner cartridges, will be the responsibility of the clients’ department.
- Cost associated with parts for devices older than five years will be the responsibility of the department.
Contact: ITS Help Desk
Revision Date: March 8, 2010