The Office of Institutional Research and Testing is responsible for conducting course evaluations each summer, fall, and spring term.
Note: IRT does not specify who will be evaluated or when, or determine the questions on the survey form. See the Policies & Procedures page for more details.
Course evaluation results are used by instructors to improve teaching. In addition, they are a significant component of the performance review process, which includes reviews for tenure and promotion.
- Instructors use feedback from course evaluations to improve their teaching and the overall experience of a course.
- Department chairs use feedback from course evaluations to help instructors improve their teaching and make changes to the course and/or program that is being delivered.
- In many cases, course evaluations provide the only opportunity for students to provide feedback to instructors on how courses might be improved.
As of Fall 2013, all course evaluations will be administered electronically. The University utilizes a web-based student end-of-course evaluation system, which is hosted by an off-site vendor known as EvaluationKIT. EvaluationKIT uses a secure server that ensures the security of all data. The electronic course evaluation system is easy, convenient, secure, and confidential. EvaluationKIT is integrated into the University’s BlackBoard course management system, which provides easy access for both instructors and students.
Note: Reports for the Fall 2014 electronic course evaluations are now available. See the Training page for more details to access reports.
Summer 2015 Electronic Course Evaluations:
- Friday, June 12 - Deadline for requesting required evaluations
- Wednesday, June 22 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Thursday, June 25 - Summer 1 Course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Monday, July 6 - Summer 1 Course evaluations close at 10:00 a.m.
- Friday, July 17 - Deadline for requesting required evaluations
- Monday, July 27 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Friday, July 31 - Summer 2 and Full Summer Course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, August 11 - Summer 2 and Full Summer Course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, August 14 - Summer Course evaluation reports available by 9:00 a.m.