The Office of Institutional Research and Testing is responsible for conducting course evaluations each summer, fall, and spring term.
Note: IRT does not specify who will be evaluated or when, or determine the questions on the survey form. See the Policies & Procedures page for more details.
Course evaluation results are used by instructors to improve teaching. In addition, they are a significant component of the performance review process, which includes reviews for tenure and promotion.
- Instructors use feedback from course evaluations to improve their teaching and the overall experience of a course.
- Department chairs use feedback from course evaluations to help instructors improve their teaching and make changes to the course and/or program that is being delivered.
- In many cases, course evaluations provide the only opportunity for students to provide feedback to instructors on how courses might be improved.
As of Fall 2013, all course evaluations will be administered electronically. The University utilizes a web-based student end-of-course evaluation system, which is hosted by an off-site vendor known as EvaluationKIT. EvaluationKIT uses a secure server that ensures the security of all data. The electronic course evaluation system is easy, convenient, secure, and confidential. EvaluationKIT is integrated into the University’s Canvas course management system, which provides easy access for both instructors and students.
Note: Spring 2016 course evaluation reports are now available. See the Training page for more details to access reports.
Summer 2016 Electronic Course Evaluations:
- Friday, May 6 - Deadline for requesting Required evaluations
- Monday, May 13 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Friday, May 20 - Minimester Course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Friday, May 27 - Minimester Course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, June 10 - Deadline for requesting Required evaluations
- Friday, June 17 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Friday, June 24 - Summer I Course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 5 - Summer I Course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
Summer II/Full Summer:
- Friday, July 15 - Deadline for requesting Required evaluations
- Monday, July 25 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Friday, July 29 - Summer II/Full Summer Course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 10 - Summer II/Full Summer Course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, August 12 - Summer Course evaluation reports available by 9:00 a.m.