The Office of Institutional Research and Testing is responsible for conducting course evaluations each summer, fall, and spring term.
Note: IRT does not specify who will be evaluated or when, or determine the questions on the survey form. See the Policies & Procedures page for more details.
Course evaluation results are used by instructors to improve teaching. In addition, they are a significant component of the performance review process, which includes reviews for tenure and promotion.
- Instructors use feedback from course evaluations to improve their teaching and the overall experience of a course.
- Department chairs use feedback from course evaluations to help instructors improve their teaching and make changes to the course and/or program that is being delivered.
- In many cases, course evaluations provide the only opportunity for students to provide feedback to instructors on how courses might be improved.
As of Fall 2013, all course evaluations will be administered electronically. The University utilizes a web-based student end-of-course evaluation system, which is hosted by an off-site vendor known as EvaluationKIT. EvaluationKIT uses a secure server that ensures the security of all data. The electronic course evaluation system is easy, convenient, secure, and confidential. EvaluationKIT is integrated into the University’s BlackBoard course management system, which provides easy access for both instructors and students.
Note: Reports for the Summer 2014 electronic course evaluations are now available. See the Training page for more details to access reports.
Fall 2014 Electronic Course Evaluations:
- Wednesday, September 17 - Deadline for requesting early evaluations
- Wednesday, October 1 - Deadline for updating comparison groups
- Friday, October 10 - Deadline for requesting required evaluations
- Friday, October 24 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Monday, November 17 - Fall 2014 course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, December 11 - Fall 2014 course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, December 19 - Fall 2014 course evaluation reports available