We are excited to announce the introduction of a new electronic I-9 system, Guardian, scheduled to go live in January 2013. At that time we will discontinue using the paper I-9 form. Therefore new employees (faculty, staff, and students) must come to HR on or before their first day of work to complete their electronic I-9.
Guardian's user-friendly electronic interface will make it easier for Baylor to:
- Create error-free and compliant I-9s for new hires
- Keep track of expiring work authorization dates and timely complete Section 3 re-verifications for Foreign National employees
- Address potential compliance issues identified on our existing paper I-9s that will be integrated into the system for current employees
- Eliminate the need to transport I-9s across campus or through the mail, reducing the risk for lost forms and providing more data security
As the requirements governing I-9 compliance continually evolve and become increasingly complex, we will have the advantage of being able to rely on the tested Guardian system and support team for guidance on how to make sure our I-9 forms meet all of the necessary requirements. Highlighted below are just a few of the many exciting features that Guardian offers:
- Online application allows HR Representatives to manage I-9s from any computer with secure Internet access
- "One-Minute I-9" interface permits HR Representative to help employee complete Section 1 of the I-9 and immediately proceed to Section 2 at the same time the employee presents his or her documents for inspection
- Remote Hire Interface allows new hire to log in remotely to the system before his or her first day of work to complete Section 1 of the I-9 and indicate which documents the employee plans to present
- Built-in error checking lets HR representative and employee know when I-9 information is incomplete, inconsistent between Sections 1 and 2, or formatted incorrectly before being able to proceed to the next step
- Dedicated Dashboard makes it easy to manage upcoming I-9 completion deadlines for new hires, as well as re-verification deadlines
- Automated notification system improves communication regarding the I-9 status
- Knowledgeable Customer Support Team available by phone or through dedicated email interface
Additional information about this implementation and how it will improve the I-9 process for supervisors and new hires will be sent as we draw closer to the go-live date. We hope you share our excitement about the use of this new system for managing our I-9 compliance needs. Please let us know if you have any questions.