More Results from Baylor's First Naturally Slim Program
You have heard about the weight loss. Now, we have more exciting results of Baylor's first Naturally Slim program. Here they are:
- 440 participants
- 330 successful completions (pre and post program biometric screenings completed and 8 of 10 classes attended)
- 82 with "metabolic syndrome" (see below description of metabolic syndrome)
- 57% reversed their metabolic syndrome status after the program
- 16% reversed Waist Circumference Risk
- 43% reversed Triglycerides Risk
- 10% reversed HDL Risk
- 54% reversed Blood Pressure Risk
- 32% reversed Diabetic Risk
- 3414 pounds lost, averaging 10.3 pounds in 10 weeks
- Specific risk factors identified in order of prevalence: Elevated Waist Circumference (90%), Elevated Triglycerides (68%), Elevated Blood Pressure (66%), Elevated Fasting Glucose (65%) and Low HDL (60%)
- The majority of participants with only 1-2 risk factors experienced improvement in at least one of the risk areas and everyone benefitted from the education from a prevention perspective
- 91% of participants were either Very Satisfied (58.2%) or Satisfied (32.8%)
Way to go Baylor participants! This exciting news means our community is on the path to improved health which impacts everything we do. The Naturally Slim program provides the tools and information that can help us sustain these results. Participants who complete the program also become eligible for a 7 week follow-up course within a year.
The participants who successfully participated in the program will receive their $200 incentive in their June pay! In the fall, Naturally Slim will be offered again to new participants!
What is Naturally Slim?
Baylor University is continually looking for ways to help you improve - or maintain - your health. As a wise person once said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Plus, we think it's the right thing to do. This new program applies to full-time faculty and staff and their spouse (if applicable).
We've all heard that healthy eating, healthy weight management, and physical activity can help prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes, many cancers, and other unpleasant health problems. But the precursors to these problems - collectively known as "metabolic syndrome" - are a silent epidemic that affects an estimated one in four adult Americans. With the newly added Naturally Slim program, you have the opportunity to lose weight, feel better, and decrease your risk factors for metabolic syndrome.
What is "Metabolic Syndrome?"
Metabolic syndrome is a collection of risk factors that dramatically increases your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, depression, stroke, cancer, and a number of other unpleasant medical conditions. According to a national health survey, one out of every three working adults has metabolic syndrome. These five questions can tell you if you are at risk:
1. Blood pressure: Is yours 130/85 or higher?
2. HDL (good) cholesterol: Is your level less than 40 mg/dl (milligrams/deciliter) for men; less than 50 mg/dl for women?
3. Fasting blood glucose: Is your glucose level 100 mg/dl or higher?
4. Triglycerides: Is yours 150 mg/dl or higher?
5. Waistline: Does yours measure 40" or more for men; 35" or more for women (when measured across the belly button)?
If you answered "yes" three or more times, you may have metabolic syndrome. People with metabolic syndrome have a significantly higher chance of developing a medical condition in the next several years.
How the Program Works
Naturally Slim focuses on the issue of metabolic syndrome and offers methods to help you create changes in your behavior. More specifically, it:
- Fights metabolic syndrome by focusing on weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Enables you to develop a lifestyle of eating your favorite foods while still improving health and losing weight.
- Teaches you to identify personal eating habits, recognize the difference between true hunger and psychological hunger, understand how hydration habits influence hunger, and practice ways to minimize fat storage.
- Addresses how exercise, stress, and your environment affect weight loss.
- Includes 10 self-paced, online video sessions, as well as frequent correspondence and positive guidance from a personal health counselor over a 10-week period.
- Includes a pre and post course biometric screening.
A Note About Confidentiality
The information that you provide to any program professional who is representing Baylor University will be considered confidential and will be available only to you and those professionals. Baylor University will have no access to the personal health information that you include in the online application or the results of your pre and post course biometric screening. Furthermore, each of our program partners cannot sell or otherwise divulge any participant information to any unauthorized party.
For more information on Naturally Slim, please visit www.naturallyslim.com.