The health benefit elections you make are for the entire calendar year and generally cannot be changed outside of the Annual Open Enrollment period. However if you experience a Qualified Life Event as defined by Section 125 of the IRS Code, you will be able to make benefit changes that are consistent with your life event.
Important 30-Day Deadline
When a qualifying life event occurs, you have 30 calendar days from the date of the event to make changes to your benefits elections. If the 30-day deadline expires, the next opportunity to submit changes will be during the Annual Open Enrollment period in November, or during a separate qualified life event. Also it is especially important to remove ineligible dependents from coverage within the 30-day window to avoid overpaying premiums that will not be refunded.
Changing Your Coverage
You may change your coverage if you experience a qualifying life event and the benefit change you request corresponds with a gain or loss of eligibility for insurance coverage. For example, a marriage is a status change that would allow you to change from employee only medical coverage to employee + spouse medical coverage because acquiring a new dependent is consistent with a gain in eligibility for medical coverage.
NOTE: A future event cannot be processed. In other words you must wait until the event occurs, and then you will have 30 calendar to request change(s).
Qualified Life Events Include:
- Marriage, legal separation, annulment, or divorce
- Birth, adoption, or legal placement of a child
- Death of your spouse or dependent child
- A dependent becoming ineligible for coverage
- Your spouse gaining or losing coverage at his/her job
- Your transfer between full-time and part-time status
- Your going onto or returning from a Leave of Absence
- Separation from Baylor University
Questions about mid-year changes affecting your Baylor University benefits should be directed to Human Resources, 254-710-2000.
Steps to make a mid-year change due to a Qualifying Life Event
You must complete the steps below within 30 calendar days of the Qualified Life Event to make changes to your benefit elections:
- Log on to SmartBen™ at www.baylor.edu/smartben and choose the life event that occurred.
- Upload any supporting documentation of the life event within 30 days.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the benefits information in this site. However, if any provision on the benefits plans is unclear or ambiguous, Human Resources reserves the right to interpret the plan and resolve the problem. If any inconsistency exists between this site and the written plans or contracts, the actual provisions of each benefit plan will govern.