Evaluation of employees’ work is a key component of performance management. While informal evaluation and conversations occur throughout the year through planning and developing employees’ work, new employees complete a formal performance evaluation upon completion of their initial 180 days of employment and all staff members participate in the annual Staff Performance Appraisal & Planning Process. The Performance Appraisal & Planning Process will take place in BaylorCompass, Baylor’s Career Management Resource System. For more details on how to complete the steps below, please refer to the appropriate guide:
The annual process takes place in the spring with a review of the past year - June of last year to May of this year - and plans for the upcoming year. Please refer to the Staff Performance Appraisal Schedule for more details of evaluation timeline based on employee dates of hire/transfer.
- March - Planning and preparation
- Process opens in BaylorCompass - April 1
- Employees complete Performance Appraisal form in BaylorCompass - Recommended by April 15
- Managers complete Performance Appraisal form in BaylorCompass, review by Second-Level Managers and possible up-line reviews - Recommended by May 15
- Performance conversations take place
- Employees Sign-off on form in BaylorCompass
- Managers sign-off on form in BaylorCompass
June 15 - All performance appraisals due
Summer - Merit compensation process (informed by Performance Appraisal Process)
Tools for Planning & Preparation
- Staff Performance Appraisal & Planning Document - for use as a tool to start composing thoughts for the year. Keep in mind that final responses will need to be input into BaylorCompass once the form becomes available
- Mission and Goals of the University
- Skills and Traits List
- Baylor's Core Competencies
- Job Descriptions
Related Baylor University Personnel Policies:
Note for Managers:
Should an employee’s work or conduct not meet expectations and initial coaching efforts prove unsuccessful in soliciting improvement, the manager should contact their HR Client Relationship Manager to develop a plan for corrective action. More information can be found on the Corrective Action page.
The Annual Performance Appraisal & Planning Process is to be completed and signed off in BaylorCompass by
June 15, 2015.