A limited number of scholarships are available and those are distributed based upon ensemble needs. All scholarship awards are decided by audition and availability.
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2014
Eligibility: Must be enrolled in Marching Band (MUS 0102) and must have completed the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Please note, the majority of monies available from Golden Wave Band Scholarships are "need-based." No matter what your financial status, we highly encourage filling out the FAFSA as this allows the financial aid office more flexibility to provide possible award monies.
• New Members of the Golden Wave Band will need to prepare the first four sections of the Application Process listed below. Percussionists, Color Guard members, and Golden Girl twirlers will complete steps 1, 2, 3, and 5.
• Returning Members need only complete the first two sections.
1. Fill out the application form by clicking THIS LINK and following the instructions.
2. Write a formal essay (2-3 pages, standard font & size) stating your past band leadership experiences, the music honors you have received, and other accomplishments related to your potential scholarship. This essay is submitted through the above link as part of the application form.
3. Have your high school band director submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. We would like the recommender to send us the letter via email to email@example.com. They may choose to type their recommendation into the body of an email or they can attach a pdf document. Please instruct the recommender to write "Letter of Recommendation" and the student's name in the subject line of the email. You may have two other references write on your behalf if you wish. Do not send more than three letters. Letters of recommendation will NOT be considered if the applicant has not completed the first two parts of this application process.
4. Woodwind/Brass Players: Prepare an audition of 3-5 minutes in length. You will use this extended version of the audition process in place of the normal audition for acceptance into the Golden Wave Band. When you come to your New Student Orientation and sign up for the band audition, simply let the staff know you are auditioning for both the band and a scholarship. You can read about the standard audition requirements on our website.
When auditioning for a scholarship please prepare the following:
• Prepare music with two contrasting styles; something that shows off your technical playing skills as well as your lyrical musicianship. The excerpts from etudes or solos should range between 3-5 minutes in length. We recommend your perform music that is of significant quality and difficulty, which allow you to display your highest degree of musical artistry.
• Prepare major scales of up to five flats and five sharps. You will be asked to perform a few scales to demonstrate your musical knowledge. Perform these scales in two octaves if possible.
• Perform the chromatic scale from the lowest to the highest note you can comfortably play. It is appropriate to use a triplet pattern for rhythm and to tongue notes of the scale on the way up and slur notes on the way down.
5. Percussionist/Color Guard/Golden Girl Twirlers: Discussions will be held with your respective instructors to assess your abilities. Please inform the instructors if you would like to be considered for a scholarship.
All materials are due on May 31, 2014. Awards are available and distributed based upon ensemble needs. All correspondence regarding scholarships must be made to/from the student. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will receive notification of scholarship awards via email in the month of July.