Baylor University Golden Wave Band
Golden Girls and Feature Twirler Auditions
Tryout eligibility is limited to students enrolled at Baylor or incoming freshmen who have already been accepted for admittance to Baylor University for the 2012 fall semester. Proficiency on a musical instrument is not a prerequisite. Our recent tradition is to have a 4-person Golden Girl squad but the number of positions may be flexible. We are accepting and will review audition materials for 2013.
REQUIREMENTS FOR TRYOUTS:
1. Our recent tradition is to a a 4-person squad as members Golden Girls Twirling Line but the number of positions may be flexible. Final decisions are subject to the discretion of the Band Director and Twirling Instructor. Positions are filled based on quality with a high standard of excellence and also dependent upon the number of returning Golden Girl members. When the line is chosen the Instructor will select a captain. This decision is based upon the candidate's experience. The Captain may be chosen at a later date if the Director so chooses.
2. Golden Girls (twirling line): Tryout routines for the Golden Girls must be two to three minutes in length. Musical media must be in either compact disc format or contained on an iPod or similar media player with mini-jack output (headphone or earbud connector). CD's are the preferred format. After individual routines have been completed the instructor will teach a short routine. Each candidate will be required to perform this routine either in groups or individually depending upon the number of persons auditioning. Performance of the routine will be factored into each candidate's individual score.
NOTICE: There is a three-baton requirement for Feature Twirler auditions.
3. Appearance is a major factor in the selection process. Showmanship, personality, gracefulness, energy, coordination, and physical condition will be considered. Please wear a performance uniform/costume.
4. Twirling ability is the most important factor in the audition. We seek twirlers with well-developed technique who can adapt their skills to a variety of musical styles and perform their routines within the rhythmic foundation of the music. Successful routines will incorporate vertical/horizontal one and two turns, toss illusion, toss cartwheel, two-baton work, and the basic three-baton juggles.
Current Golden Girls who have held their positions for two years are not required to re-audition.
I. PRE-SCREENING - All candidates interested in auditioning for a Golden Girl / Feature Twirler position must provide the following information for a pre-screening review:
1) Send an e-mail to the Golden Girl Instructor, Mrs. Lynn Dell Harrell explaining your interest in auditioning to become a Golden Girl at Baylor University.
Submit an audition packet to the Golden Wave Band office by February 28, 2013.
2) The packet must include a video recording in DVD format of a live performance (1.5 - 2 minutes, UNCUT - UNEDITED). Submission of non-performance video footage may also be included but is not required.
3) The packet must include a twirling resume listing experiences, instructors with whom you have studied, competitions, awards, picture, etc.
4) The packet must include three confidential letters of recommendation, one must be from your current band director.
5) The packet may include a one-page letter explaining why you would like to be a Golden Girl.
After the completion of the PRE-SCREENING PROCESS by the Golden Girls Instructor and the Directors, an e-mail (and/or letter) will be sent to the candidates for an invitation to a live audition. Candidates are invited to the live audition based on the quality of their APPLICATION PACKET and also dependent on the number of applicants and the number of returning members.
Mail to the following address:
Golden Girl/Feature Twirler Auditions
Golden Wave Band, c/o Dr. Isaiah Odajima
School of Music, One Bear Place #97408
Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798
You will receive a confirmation letter, e-mail or phone call shortly after we have received your materials. If you have submitted your materials and you have not received communication from the band office within one week of submission, please e-mail or call us to assure the packet has arrived.
The Golden Girl Auditions will be held the third week of April, 2013, the precise time TBD.
Please Note: No one will be allowed to audition without completing the above and being admitted to or enrolled at Baylor University.
Coming from the north on I-35, take the University Parks Drive exit and turn left (east) on University Parks. Go roughly one half mile and turn right on Bagby Street. Turn right on Speight. Russell Gymnasium is the second building on the right adjacent to the Student Life Center.
Coming from the south on I-35, take the University Parks Drive exit and turn right (east) on University Parks. Go roughly one half mile and turn right on Bagby Street. Turn right on Speight. Russell Gymnasium is the second building on the right adjacent to the Student Life Center.
For more information, please contact the Director, Dr. Isaiah Odajima, or the Instructor, Lynn Dell Harrell, for more information.