Professor of Philosophy
Medieval and modern theories of the passions and virtues. The philosophy of R.G. Collingwood. The Essais of Montaigne as they bear on the thought of Nietzsche.
1. Thomas Aquinas on the Passions (Cambridge University Press, 2009)
2. Truth in the Making (Routledge, 2004)
3. Vico, Genealogist of Modernity (University of Notre Dame Press, 2002)
Articles, sorted by categoryA. Medieval Philosophy
1. "Non-Aristotelian Prudence in the Prima Secundae of the Summa Theologiae." The Thomist 64 (2000): 401-422.
2. "Suarez as Founder of Modernity? Reflections on a Topos in Recent Historiography." History of Philosophy Quarterly 18 (2001): 17-36.
3. "Recent Work on St. Thomas in North America: Language, Anthropology, Christology." In Contemplating Aquinas: On the Varieties of Interpretation, ed. Fergus Kerr, pp. 137-162. London: SCM Press, 2003
4. "Augustinian Recollection." Augustinian Studies 38 (2007): 435-450.
5. "Aquinas on Habitus." In A History of Habit: From Aristotle to Bourdieu, ed. Tom Sparrow and Adam Hutchinson. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014B. Early Modern Philosophy
6. "Verum-factum and Practical Wisdom in the Early Writings of Giambattista Vico." Journal of the History of Ideas 59 (1998): 53-73.
7. "Is Hobbes a Theorist of the Virtues?" International Philosophical Quarterly 41 (2001): 269-284
8. "The Dependence of Descartes' Ontological Proof Upon the Doctrine of Causa Sui." Revista Portuguesa de Filosofia 58 (2002): 873-886.
9. "The Baconian Matrix of Descartes's Regulae." In Descartes and Cartesianism, ed. Nathan D. Smith and Jason P. Taylor, pp. 1-20. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2005.
10. "Vico, Giambattista." In The Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2nd edition, ed. Donald Borchert. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2006.
11. "Vico on War and Peace." In Macht und Moral: Politisches Denken im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert, ed. Hans-Richard Reuter and Markus Kremer, pp. 291-305. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer, 2007.
12. "Pascal on the Uses of Scepticism." Logos 11 (2008): 111-122.
13. "A Metaphysics of Humility and Greatness." Introduction to the Liber Metaphysicus of Giambattista Vico, translated by Jason Taylor. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2010.C. Nietzsche
14. "Nietzsche on Friendship. Journal of Nietzsche Studies 40 (2010): 47-69.
15. "‘Politics as Opposed to Tradition': The Presence of Nietzsche and Spinoza in the ‘Zionist Essays' of Leo Strauss." Interpretation 37 (2010): 203-226.
16. "Nietzsche, Schmitt and Heidegger in the Anti-Liberalism of Leo Strauss." Telos 160 (2012): 9-27.
17. "Leo Strauss's Adherence to Nietzsche's ‘Atheism from Intellectual Probity.'" Perspectives on Political Science 41 (2012): 155-64.
18."Nietzsche's Fourfold Conception of the Self." Inquiry 54 (2011): 337-60.D. Contemporary Topics
19. "Lakatos and MacIntyre on Incommensurability and the Rationality of Theory-Change." Epistemologia 24 (2001): 221-236."Aquinas on the Sacrament of Confirmation." In Aquinas and the Sacraments, ed. Matthew Levering. Chicago: Hillenbrand, 2009.
20. "Collingwood and Lonergan on Historical Knowledge." Lonergan Workshop 19 (2006): 197-209.
21. "What does Obligation Add to Virtue-Descriptions? Some Uses of Anscombe's Law/Game Analogy." Christian Bioethics 14 (2008): 165-174.
Work in Progress
I am currently at work on three separate projects. Brief descriptions of each follow.
1. Thomas Aquinas: Questions on Love and Charity. Annotated translation of Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, Secunda Secundae, Questions 23-46. Contract issued in September 2012 for publication in "Rethinking the Western Tradition" Series, Yale University Press.
2. The first full-length monograph assessing the relations between Nietzsche and Montaigne, the author whom Nietzsche in "Schopenhauer as Educator" judged as "this freest and mightiest of spirits." The Essais are crucially important for Nietzsche, in his early, middle-period, and late writings. Montaigne is one of the few figures whom Nietzsche consents to take as a "judge." Yet very little has been written about the connections between Montaigne and Nietzsche. My book shall close this gap. Drafts of six of its projected seven chapters are complete. The chapters are as follows:
3. Translation of Giambattista Vico's Scienza Nuova (full title: Principi di Scienza Nuova d'intorno alla commune natura delle nazioni ). With Jason Taylor. Contract issued in March 2012 by Yale University Press.