Eligibility: The applicant must be (1) a doctoral candidate (proposal and/or prospectus must be formally approved by the department); and (2) registered for at least one credit hour at Baylor University during the semester of travel. Summer requests can be based on fall registration.
Award: The Graduate School will match funds with the student's department, up to $500. A doctoral student is eligible for one such award during her/his studies at Baylor University.
1. A letter, emailed to GSTA@baylor.edu, that contains:
a. Student personal contact information, as well as departmental/program affiliation
b. The need for travel described and justified
c. An estimate of expenses to be incurred in the proposed travel
d. An attached copy of the approved dissertation proposal
2. A brief statement of support from your major professor e-mailed to GSTA@baylor.edu.
3. An email from the departmental Graduate Program Director (GPD) confirming matching funds
Note: The student should submit his/her request four weeks prior to travel, if possible. If the request is submitted nearer to the meeting date, funding may not reach the student until after the meeting. A check will be mailed directly to the student.Report:
Within 30 days of return, the student should:
1. Prepare a brief report of the meeting and email the report to GSTA@baylor.edu, or mail the report to Mrs. Harman via the address below. Please give a brief overview of your research and describe the impact and benefit to your dissertation research.
2. Submit scanned receipts of expenses incurred to Mrs. Harman's office in Morrison 200. If necessary, students may mail the documents to the address below.
3. If your professional expenses were less than the amount of the award, include a check (payable to Baylor University) for the difference.
Baylor's Tax & Compliance Office has determined that travel grants which are provided to students in order to further their educational research endeavors are classified as fellowships. Such a fellowship is reportable by the students as taxable income.