The graduate school offers a course for all international teaching assistants and lab assistants. The focus of this course will be on the speaking and listening skills necessary to achieving success here at Baylor.
Classroom activities will be divided equally between a focus on language and communication skills. Videotaping and audio recording of individual students will be available.
The goals of the course are:
- To encourage students to improve their pronunciation of English so that they can be understood effortlessly in both formal and informal situations
- To enable students to improve their listening comprehension and fluency in interactions which are typical of academic settings, both inside and outside the classroom
- To give students opportunities to practice making presentations, with feedback, in order to discover areas requiring improvement
- To encourage students to learn strategies for improving their communication skills throughout their careers
- To diagnose which grammatical categories of spoken English each student should learn more extensively
- To develop students' confidence in their interactions with advisors, students and other professionals in their field
Class location and times:
- There are two sections of the class. Both will be held in Sid Richardson 219
- MWF: 2:30-3:20
- TR: 3:30-4:45
For more information, download the course description.
Students who are planning on enrolling in the course should notify their GPD or Ilsa Burns, at email@example.com by August 14, 2015.