The graduate school now offers a free course to all international students and visiting scholars.
This course focuses on many of the language and communication skills necessary to achieving academic success in graduate school and beyond. Constructive feedback of students' videotapes and audio recordings is an essential component of the course.
The goals of the course are:
- To encourage students to improve their pronunciation of American English so that they can be understood effortlessly in both formal and informal situations
- To enable students to improve their listening comprehension and fluency in interactions which are typical of academic settings
- To give students opportunities to practice making presentations
- To encourage students to learn strategies for improving their communication skills throughout their careers
- To develop students' confidence in their interactions with advisors, fellow students and other professionals in their field
- Two sections of the course are available.
- January 20th-April 29th, M/W: 2:30-3:45
- January 19th-April 28th, T/TH: 3:30-4:45
- The room number: Sid Richardson 213
Download a description of the course.
All international graduate students who will be teaching undergraduates should contact the Course Director, Ilsa Burns, regarding their placement in this course.
Students and advisors who are interested in learning more about this course should contact the Course Director, Ilsa Burns