- 2004 Ph.D. Modern German Literature and Film - University of Massachusetts Amherst
- 1993 M.A. German Literature and Pedagogy - University of Iowa
- 1990 B.A. German, Minor in Music Performance (cello) University of Missouri Columbia
- 1990 B.A. with Honors Interdisciplinary in Humanities, Political Science and Russian - University of Missouri Columbia
- Phi Beta Kappa
- 1988-89 Junior-Year Abroad - Universitaet des Saarlandes, Germany
- 1985-1986 Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program Tagesheimgymnasium Kerpen-Mödrath, Germany
“Women Who Showed the Way: Arbeiterinnen of DEFA Feature Film 1946-1966."