Professor of Family and Consumer Sciences
Office: MGJ 110
- One Bear Place #97346
Waco, TX 76798
- Ph.D., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.S., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.Ed., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.S. Christian Counseling, Cairn University
- B.S. Home Economics, University of Alabama
- Food Science/Advanced Food Science
- Meal Management
- Life Cycle Nutrition
- Experimental Foods
- Methods of Teaching Family and Consumer Sciences
Areas of Interest and Research:
- Food Science
- Food Acceptability
- Barriers to Home Food Preparation
- Adolescent Eating Behaviors
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Background includes 20 years' experience in clinical and administrative dietetics prior to entering the sub-discipline of dietetics education.
- FCS 3435 Food Service Production
- FCS 5370 Research Methods in Nutrition Sciences
- FCS 1301 Food Science
- Research methods
- Nutrition in public health
- Nutrition counseling
- Health behavior
- Nutrition in public health
- College Health
- Behavioral Health Nutrition
- Water Safety and Sanitation
Burnett, D. & Evans, R. (In review). Systematic review investigating the association between child sexual abuse and obesity. Journal of Women's Health Issues.
Womack, J., Davis, J., & Burnett, D. (2012). Spartan fortitude: An auto-ethnographical account of hunger and stamina. McNair Scholar's program submission (faculty mentor).
Franks, B., Burnett, D., & Evans, R.R. (2012). Risk factors and prevention strategies for suicide among the elderly. Alabama Counseling Association, 38(2), 32-42.
Burnett, D. O. (November 22, 2011). Use of satellite remote sensing for groundwater mapping in Haiti. Earthzine. Available online at: http://www.earthzine.org/2011/11/22/use-of-remote-sensing-for-groundwater-mapping-in-haiti/
Padgett-Vasquez, S., Olson, J., Huang, J., Campbell, K., Foreman, M., Whitley, C., Keyes, D., McManus, M., Luvall, J., & Burnett, D. (2011). Linking landscape changes with water quality changes in the Cahaba River through the use of NASA Earth Observing System. NASA technical paper: NASA.
Evans, R.R., & Burnett, D.O. (2009). Nutrition and physical activity resources to promote health among youth. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 13(3), 254-264.
Evans, R.R., Burnett, D. O., Kendrick, O.W., Macrina, D.M., Snyder, S.W., Roy, J.P.L., & Stephens, B.C. (2009). Developing valid and reliable online survey instruments using commercial software programs. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 13(1), 42-52.
Evans, R., Roy, J., Geiger, B., Werner, K., & Burnett, D. (2008). Ecological strategies to promote healthy body image among children. Journal of School Health, 78(7), 359-367.
Fulmore, J., Werner, K., Powell, B., & Burnett, D. (2005). Learning through service: Building a curriculum one lesson at a time. The Health Education Monograph Series, 22(2), 39-41.