HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS OF BAYLOR UNIVERSITY
Baylor University was founded under the leadership of Judge R.E.B. Baylor, Reverend James Huckins, and Reverend William Milton Tryon, three farsighted pioneer missionaries working through the Texas Baptist Education Society. They, along with other associations, sent representatives in 1848 to create the Baptist State Association, which later became the Baptist State Convention.
1845-Baylor chartered on February 1 by the Republic of Texas.
1849-Instruction in law begun.
1857-School of Law organized.
1883-School of Law closed.
1920-School of Law reorganized.
1886-Baylor merged with Waco University and moved to Waco.
1903-College of Medicine organized in Dallas by assuming responsibility for operating the University of Dallas Medical Department.
1943-Moved to Houston.
1969-Given independent status.
1903-College of Pharmacy organized in Dallas.
1930-College of Pharmacy terminated.
1905-Theological Seminary organized in Waco.
1907-Separated from Baylor University.
1910-Moved to Fort Worth.
1918-College of Dentistry organized in Dallas by taking over the State Dental College which had been founded in 1905.
1971-The College was separately incorporated in 1971, although Graduate programs continued to be offered through Baylor University.
1996 -The College became a part of the Texas A&M System on September 1, 1996.
1919-Baylor Hospital organized in Dallas – now Baylor University Medical Center.
1919-College of Arts and Sciences organized.
1919-College of Fine Arts organized, which consisted of offerings in music and in expression.
1921-Terminated in favor of the present School of Music.
1919-School of Education organized.
1920-School of Nursing organized as a diploma-granting program.
1921-School of Music organized.
1923-School of Business organized.
1959-Renamed Hankamer School of Business in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hankamer of Houston.
1947-Graduate School organized. Graduate study and degrees had been offered since 1894.
1950-The School of Nursing reorganized as an academic unit of Baylor University offering a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
2000-Renamed Louise Herrington School of Nursing in honor of Louise Herrington Ornelas.
1951-Graduate program in hospital administration established in conjunction with the Army Medical
Field Service School, Fort Sam Houston.
1971-Graduate program in physical therapy added.
1971-Program in physicianʼs assistant added in collaboration with the Army Medical Field Service School, Fort Sam Houston. Terminated in 1977.
1972-Name of Army Medical Field Service School changed to Academy of Health Sciences of the U.S. Army.
1973-Baylor University Memorandum of Agreement with the U.S. Army Academy of Health Sciences affiliated more than 20 programs of instruction with 150 course offerings for academic credit at Baylor University. Terminated in 1977.
1987-University School organized. Responsibilities were reassigned to other academic units in 1992.
1993-George W. Truett Theological Seminary organized in Waco.
1994-Seminary classes begin.
1995-School of Engineering and Computer Science organized.
2002-Honors College organized.
2005-School of Social Work granted independent status from the College of Arts and Sciences.