ECS LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCES
Do you love to serve? Are you looking for a way to plug in to student life in the School of Engineering and Computer Science?
If the answer is YES, please consider applying for one of the many leadership experiences we offer in ECS. Below you will find position descriptions.
For more informatin about these leadership positions, please contact Emily_Sandvall@baylor.edu!
- team centered attitude
- leadership development potential
- a positive work ethic
- positive communication skills
- problem solving abilities
- a desire to work with students, family, faculty, andstaff
- good academic standing (at least 2.5 overall g.p.a.)
- good disciplinary standing
- sensitivity to diversity in all of its forms
- demonstrated faith
- willingness to learn and to serve
- understanding and belief in mission of Baylor University
The Innovate Leadership position is designed to help guide and mentor Innovate participants, top-notch high school juniors interested in the field of Engineering and Computer Science. Innovate Leaders are dedicated to accountability and promoting an environment for success so each participant leaves with a better understanding of what the School of Engineering and Computer Science at Baylor can offer him/her.
Innovate Leaders will provide leadership for a summer community of approximately 24 students per session (three total sessions). As a campus resident during the program, leaders will focus on building meaningful and productive relationships with students. In addition, Innovate Leaders will seek out, know, and engage with faculty by serving as teaching assistants in and outside the program to further each student's academic experience.
Innovate Leaders are required to participate in the following:
- Move In: June 5
- Program Training: June 5 - 8
- Innovate Program: June 10 - 28 (3 sessions: June 9-15; June 16-22; June 23-29
Student leaders will receive free room and board (a meal will be provided for each meal time that Innovate is on campus and the cafeteria is open) as well as a $1000 stipend.
- Informal Spring Gatherings: TBA
- Move In: June 5
- Program Training: June 5-8
- Innovate Program: June 10 - 28 (3 sessions: June 9-15; June 16-22; June 23-29)
ECS Baylor Line Camp Leader
The Line Camp Leader position is designed to warmly welcome new students to the Baylor community by serving as a small group leader during Baylor Line Camp. Line Camp Leaders are committed to fostering meaningful relationships with new students and preparing new students to be successful at Baylor as they discover a sense of belonging, through their experience at Baylor Line Camp.
Line Camp Leaders will be charged to lead a small group of 10-12 new students through the Line Camp experience. Leaders must possess and develop the ability to facilitate conversations with students about strengths, friendship, tradition, meaningful service, and discovering ones unique calling. Baylor Line Camp Leaders must commit to serving new students through this experience as well as be willing to assist with all activities at camp. In addition, leaders will serve as representatives of the School of Engineering and Computer Science and expected to communicate the needs, hopes, and desires of the school for its students.
Line Camp Leaders are required to participate in the following:
- Spring Retreat: April 16
- Program Training: July 19-21
- Baylor Line Camp: July 22-26
Student leaders will be paid hourly for their employment. Student leaders will be paid part of their regular wages in cash and part in-kind, based on the value of the lodging and meals provided to him/her without cost.
- Informal Spring Gatherings: TBA (depending on leader availability)
- Spring Retreat: April 16 (depending on leader availability)
- Move In for Line Camp: July 19
- Line Camp Training: July 19-21
- Line Camp: July 22-26
- Move Out: July 26
ECS Welcome Week and Delta Leader
The Welcome Week/Delta Leader position is designed to assist new students through their transition the first six weeks in the School of Engineering and Computer Science at Baylor University. Through connection, motivation, and support, Welcome Week/Delta Leaders serve as mentors to incoming students to help them learn how to be successful in college. This program aims to create strong relationships between new students and their Delta Leaders to ensure a strong start to their college experience.
Welcome Week/Delta Leaders will work in partnership with another Welcome Week/Delta Leader to lead a small group (14-16 students) during Welcome Week and through the first six weeks of school as a part of the new students' ECS 1095 class. During these programs, student leaders will focus on helping students make connections with other students, faculty, staff, and resources on campus. In addition, Welcome Week/Delta Leaders will serve as motivators for new students – encouraging each student to seek out and make the most of their Baylor experience. Lastly, leaders will serve as their students' support system through their transition – and hopefully beyond. Through small group discussion, one-on-one interactions, and campus events as well as ECS events, student leaders will be able to accomplish building a network of support for their group of new students.
Welcome Week/Delta Leaders are required to participate in the following:
- Welcome Week Spring Gathering: Tuesday, April 16th
- Welcome Week/Delta Leader Move In: August 18
- Delta Leader Training: August 19: 9am-5pm (Welcome Week Training in the PM)
- Welcome Week Leader Training: August 20 (all day)
- Move In Day and Residential College for ECS Welcome Events: August 21
- Welcome Week: August 22-25
- Delta Leader Class: One day a week (Monday 7pm) for the first six weeks of class
- ECS 1095: Dates and times TBD (depending on leader availability)
- Small and large group events associated with the ECS 1095 course
Student Leaders will receive various t-shirts for Welcome Week and the Delta Leader program. In addition, leaders will receive course credit (3 hours) for the Delta Leader class taken in conjunction with their experience working with new students in ECS 1095.