Class Scheduling Responsibilities:
- Schedule classes in a way that allows majors to complete departmental requirements in a timely fashion
- Balance student demand and departmental and/or university resources when scheduling classes
- Work with other departments in scheduling an adequate number of sections to meet degree requirements for their students
- Schedule classes for each term, distributed throughout the day and week to allow flexibility in students' schedules
- Submit through Banner class schedules for each semester according to the timeline set by the Registrar
- Manage class size appropriate for the type of course, keeping in mind that undergraduate sections should not run under 10 students and graduate sections should not run under 5 students
- Approve teaching assignments for individual faculty and assign classrooms appropriate for each section
- Work with registrar and/or advisors to balance class sizes across sections appropriate to the nature of the class, the size of the room, and the resources available in the room
- Use ChairSIS to change the maximum seats available in a class
- Establish a departmental procedure for permitting students into a closed class
- Encourage faculty to follow bookstore procedures and timeline when ordering course materials
Where to go for help:
- Registrar -- The Registrar can offer assistance with class scheduling and course listings.
- The Office of the Provost -- The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education can offer assistance with curriculum planning and procedures.
- Information Technology Services -- The various IT Systems such as Banner, ChairSIS, PAWS and many others are described here. The website also explains how you can get access to these systems.
Back to top.