Collins Hall Information
|A 2-person room in Collins.
|A 3-person room in Collins.
Collins Hall was completed in 1957 at a total cost of $1.8 million and was named for Mrs. Ruth Collins, the wife of a Baylor trustee and benefactor. At the time of its construction, it was the largest building in Waco. An early brochure touted the physical features of Ruth Collins Hall as the new concept of group living: libraries on each floor, informal lounges, patios and the sun deck all combined to create an atmosphere of gracious living. In 1957, residents paid $75 per quarter to live in Collins Hall.
- Free Cable TV
- Carpeted hallways & tile in rooms
- Central heat & air
- Community bathrooms on each wing
- Mini-blinds on all windows
- Movable furniture
- One active phone line per room
- Sink in room
- Standard size twin beds
- Wired computer access for each occupant
- Free WiFi
- Community bathrooms are located on each wing.
- Each community bath has toilet stalls, shower stalls with shower curtains, and one bathtub room
- There is one closet per resident in each room. The closet is approximately 42" wide by 26" deep with a shelf and clothes rod the width of the closet.
- Roommates share a storage closet in the hallway outside the room. The average storage closet measures 60" wide by 26" deep, and has a shelf and clothes rod the width of the closet.
- Each resident is provided with one high-speed Ethernet data port to connect personal computers to the residential network. For more information on residential technology offerings, please visit http://www.baylor.edu/cll/restech.
Collins Dining Hall will close permanently in May 2014. For other dining options, see the list below:
- There is elevator access to each floor.
- All floors are covered with neutral vinyl tile.
- You may bring your own carpet, or you may order carpet during the summer at Collegiate Bed Loft Company. Information about this option will be sent to your home. Your purchased carpet will be in your room and unrolled when you arrive in August; however, if your carpet is larger than the floor space, you will be responsible for cutting it yourself. Carpet tape cannot be used.
- Hallways are carpeted.
- You may check out brooms, mops, and vacuum cleaners from the hall office.
- Each room has matching standard twin beds, fitting standard size linens, and a desk and chair for each resident. All furniture is movable, but must remain in the room and may not be dismantled, stacked, or raised off the floor.
- The bed rail is 15" off the floor, allowing space for storage.
- The desktop is 23" by 42". The desk has 4 drawers and a book carrel with a shelf that sits 18" above the desktop.
- Roommates share a 54" by 20" dresser, which has four drawers for each resident. (In a three-person room, there is an additional four-drawer chest.) Each room has one large framed mirror.
- Full kitchen facilities are located on each floor with a range, oven, and a full size refrigerator.
- Microwaves are located on the first floor of each residence hall by the front desk. Only approved Microfridges are allowed in student rooms.
- Each room is allowed one small refrigerator, which must be 1.5 amps or less, no more than 36 inches tall, and grounded. You may bring your own, or rent one.
- Campus Living & Learning has partnered with Collegiate Concepts, Inc. to provide on-campus residents the option to rent or purchase a MicrofridgeTM. Microfridges are all-in-one units that have a refrigerator, freezer and microwave.
- For pricing, or to rent or purchase, please visit Collegiate Concepts' website at http://www.collegefridge.com/Baylor and select Baylor University under Select Your University.
- Laundry facilities are located on each floor.
- Find out more about the laundry machines here.
- Irons and ironing boards are not provided. Residents may bring their own.
- Each room has one white porcelain sink. The area around the rim of the sink from wall to wall is approximately 48". The depth of the rim is about 4". From the middle of the rim to the floor is approximately 30".
- If you choose to bring a sink skirt, you may attach it to the sink with white sticky-tack.
- Study rooms are located on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th floors.
- A sundeck with patio furniture is located between the 2nd and 3rd floors at the center stairwell.
- One telephone line per room is provided.
- Telephone instruments are not provided.
- To call long distance students should purchase a calling card.
- Your telephone number will be included with your room assignment information.
- Residents may bring their own televisions. Cable TV is provided (one cable outlet per room).
- Televisions may not be hung from the wall.
- All walls are painted cream. Resident may not paint the walls.
- There are crevices from which "S" hooks may be inserted to hang items. Posters and pictures may be attached to the walls with white sticky-tack. Colored sticky-tack, nails, screws, and foam tapes are not allowed. Use of these items will result in fines at the end of the school year.
- Curtains are best hung on tension rods inside the windows or on small rods held by "S" hooks that fit into the wall crevice above the window.
- Mini-blinds are on all windows and must remain in place.