Baylor > Welcome > Faculty > Daniel Nodes
Professor of Classics
- Ph.D. 1982, University of Toronto
- M.A. 1976, University of New Hampshire
- B.A. 1974, St. Peter's College
- Late Antiquity and the Early Medieval Period, Classical Tradition in the Renaissance
Daniel Nodes is Professor of Classics and Chair of the Classics Department. Before coming to Baylor he was the founding Chair of Classics and Early Christian Literature in Ave Maria University, Florida, and he has been Chair of Classics in Franciscan University of Steubenville, and director of graduate liberal studies in Hamline University, St. Paul, MN. Dr. Nodes has been a research fellow of the National Endowment for the Humanities and has been awarded research grants from American Council of Learned Societies, UCLA, St. Louis University, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Dr. Nodes publications address intersections of classical literary culture and Christian doctrine over a broad spectrum of literary genres and historical periods from late antiquity through the Renaissance.
- John Colet's Commentary on the Ecclesiastical Hierarchy of Dionysius (with Daniel Lochman). Leiden: E. J. Brill. 2013
- Commentary on the Sentences of Petrus Lombardus 'ad mentem Platonis' by Giles of Viterbo, 1469-1532 (Brill, 2010), the first critical edition of this text
- Doctrine and Exegesis in Latin Biblical Poetry (Leeds, 1993)
- Editor, The Fall of Man: Avitus 1-3 (Toronto, 1985).
Recent Journal Articles
- "Personal, Societal and Literary Reform in John Colet's Ecclesiastical Hierarchy." Church History 83.3 (2014), 547-570.
- "The Gift of the Holy Spirit and Divine Eros: Egidio of Viterbo's Encomium at the Conclusion of his Commentarium." In Egidio da Viterbo, cardinale agostiniano, tra Roma e l'Europa del Rinascimento. Rome: Roma nel Rinascimento, 2014, 121-137.
- "Conciliatory Reflections on the Procession of the Holy Spirit in Giles of Viterbo's Sentences Commentary", Scottish Journal of Theology 64.2( 2011)
- "A Witness to Theosis Effected: Maximus Confessor on the Lord's Prayer," Saint Vladimir's Theological Quarterly, 54 (2010)
- "The Organization of Augustine's Psalmus contra partem Donati", Vigiliae Christianae 63 (2009)
Forthcoming in 2015
- "Hellenism and the Sentences-Commentary of Giles of Viterbo (1469-1532)." Journal of Ecclesiastical History 66.1 (2015), 19-46.