Baylor > Welcome > Faculty > David J. White
David J. White
Lecturer in Classics
- Ph.D. candidate, Latin and Roman Studies, University of Florida
- M.L.I.S., Kent State University, 2000
- M.A., Classics, University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- B.A., Classics, University of Akron, 1984
- Latin Epic and Didactic poetry; Ancient Theater; Latin Pedagogy; and Spoken Latin
Mr. White's research focuses on Latin epic and Didactic poetry of the Golden and Silver ages, and the interrelationship between the two genres. He is also an active proponent of incorporating spoken Latin into elementary and intermediate Latin instruction.
- "Iopas." In The Virgil Encyclopedia, ed. R. Thomas and J. Ziolkowski. Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Translations from Balzac and Michelet (French) in European Romanticism: A Reader, ed. Stephen Prickett. Continuum, 2010.
- "Super cancrum coronam: The crown in Trimalchio's Zodiac platter (Petr. 35. 1-5)". Scheduled for CAMWS-SS, 2 Nov. 2012, Tallahassee, FL
- "Nobis memoranda: Columella's Reimagining of the Georgics". CAMWS, 30 March 2012, Baton Rouge, LA
- "Numeroso horto: A programmatic pun at Columella, Res Rustica 10". CAMWS, 9 April 2011, Grand Rapids, MI
- "Who Mourns for Adonais?: Greeks, Romans, and the Legacy of Romanticism". CAMWS-SS, 29 Oct. 2010, Richmond, VA
- "Obscenae canes: Hecate's Ominous Bitches at Georgics I. 470". CAMWS, 26 Mar. 2010, Oklahoma City, OK
- "Thyesteis mensis: Cannibalism in Ovid's Metamorphoses". CAMWS, 3 Apr. 2009, Minneapolis, MN
- "Iopas and Orpheus: Vergil's Rejection of Cosmological Poetry". CAMWS, 1 Apr. 2006, Gainesville, FL
- "Chelasque sequentes: Augustus Occupying Libra's Place in Georgics I.32-35". CAMWS, 1 Apr. 2005, Madison, WI
- "The Rules for Dialectic in Plato's Gorgias. CAAS, 27 Sept. 1992, New York, NY
- "Christianity and the Greek Mythical Mindset". Christian Cosmology lecture series, Newman Center, University of Pennsylvania, 30 Oct. 1991, Philadelphia, PA
- "The Song of Iopas: Vergil's View of Cosmological Poetry". CAAS, 27 Apr. 1991, Washington, DC
- Colloquial Language in Horace's Sermones. CAAS, 27 Apr. 1990, Gettysburg, PA
Work in Progress
Mr. White is currently working a commentary to book 10 of Columella's Res Rustica, focusing on the relationship between Res Rustica 10 and Vergil's Georgics.