J-2 Dependent Status for Spouse & Children
The spouse and dependent children of the J-1 Exchange Visitor may be eligible for J-2 status to accompany the J-1 individual to the U.S. with the proper financial documentation and Baylor's insurance. Children must be under 21; no other family members are eligible. J-2 dependents:
• May enter the U.S. along with or after the J-1, but never before
• Are eligible for employment once they receive approval from USCIS in the form of an EAD card. Click here for I-765, Application and Instructions for Employment Authorization
• May be admitted as a full-time degree seeking student.
• May not remain in the U.S. after the J-1 leaves the country or finishes his program

Applying for J-2 Status

If the spouse and/or dependent child will accompany the J-1 scholar to the U.S., this information is requested at the time the initial DS-2019 form is issued:

• Complete the Dependent Information on the DS-2019 Request Form
• Provide a copy of each dependent passport
• Provide at the minimum financial documentation for the each dependents(s) as shown below:

Minimum Support
Scholar $21,000/year
Spouse $6,000/year
Each Child $4,000/year

• With the DS-2019 the J-2 dependent may apply for a J-2 visa at the U.S. Consulate.

J-1/J-2 Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors (J-1) and their J-2 dependents are required to purchase Baylor's mandatory health insurance during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See "Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement" for more information.