- Temporary employment to gain practical experience in your field of study
- Work must directly relate to the F-1 major area of study
- Must maintain student status to be eligible with a valid F-1 status 9 months preceding the CPT application
WHEN IT CAN BE DONE
- During the summer if you are enrolled for the next semester
- During the semester ONLY if work hours are NO MORE than 20 per week
- AFTER completion of degree if in a master's or doctoral program
LENGTH OF TIME ALLOWED TO WORK
- 12 months available
- Deduct 50% from the 12-month limit if doing a part-time OPT
HOW CAN I APPLY?
- Please submit the OPT Request Form to Leslie Hicks.
- Your email should include:
- your name
- BU ID#
- the date you would like to begin OPT
- Please allow the ISSS office 3-4 business days to review and process your request.
- You will be notified via email to make an appointment. You will need to sign and pick up your OPT I-20 and application documents.