Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Information and Procedures

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization available to F-1 students when the work to be done is directly related to an F-1 academic program and counts towards course credit and the degree program.

*Students at Baylor on exchange programs do not qualify.*

Types of CPT:

1. Required for the degree program.

2. "Integral part of an established curriculum." The employment experience required must be instrumental to achieving a curricular academic objective. The course must be taken for at least one semester hour; the work must be needed to fulfill course requirements.

Information about CPT:

  • The purpose is to allow students to engage in internships, practicums, or cooperative education programs. For graduate students on thesis or dissertation, the work done must be required to complete the thesis or dissertation.
  • You must maintain your student status to be eligible for CPT. The student must have been in valid F-1 status for the 9 months preceding the CPT application. (Exception: Graduate students whose degree requires immediate participation in CPT may apply at any time.)
  • Your Academic Adviser/Graduate Adviser/Major Professor first recommends the CPT. It is then authorized by the U.S. CIS "Designated School Official" in the International Student and Scholar Services office at Baylor.
  • Part-time CPT is defined as working 20 hours or less per week, and does not affect OPT eligibility.
  • Full-time CPT is defined as working 21 or more hours per week, and affects OPT eligibility as follows: if you accumulate 12 months or more of full-time CPT authorization, you will not be eligible for OPT. If you have used 11.5 months of full-time CPT, you will still have 12 full months of OPT.
  •  You must have an offer of employment to apply for CPT because CPT is employer specific; you can only work for the company that you have authorization to work for on your I-20.

  • You are authorized for specific dates of employment as noted on your I-20. You may NOT begin before the start date or continue working after the end date.
  • Application Procedures:

    Please send the following to Leslie Hicks in ISSS:

    • A letter from employer (on company letterhead) giving the following information: Job title, Beginning and ending dates of employment, Salary, Number of hours per week to be worked, Name and contact information of supervisor, Brief description of work and location of work site

    • Register for appropriate course; course enrollment must cover all periods of work. Note: full-time enrollment to stay in status still applies. A printout from BearWeb will be sufficient proof of course enrollment.

    • CPT Authorization Form (completed and signed by student and faculty advisor)

    • Copy of Passport, I-94 card, I-20, and Visa

    Bring all documents to the ISSS for review.

    Please make an appointment.