Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Information and Procedures
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization available to F-1 students when the work to be done is directly related to an F-1 academic program and counts towards course credit and the degree program.
*Students at Baylor on exchange programs do not qualify.*
Types of CPT:
1. Required for the degree program.
2. "Integral part of an established curriculum." The employment experience required must be instrumental to achieving a curricular academic objective. The course must be taken for at least one semester hour; the work must be needed to fulfill course requirements.
Information about CPT:
You must have an offer of employment to apply for CPT because CPT is employer specific; you can only work for the company that you have authorization to work for on your I-20.
Please send the following to Leslie Hicks in ISSS:
• A letter from employer (on company letterhead) giving the following information: Job title, Beginning and ending dates of employment, Salary, Number of hours per week to be worked, Name and contact information of supervisor, Brief description of work and location of work site
• Register for appropriate course; course enrollment must cover all periods of work. Note: full-time enrollment to stay in status still applies. A printout from BearWeb will be sufficient proof of course enrollment.
• CPT Authorization Form (completed and signed by student and faculty advisor) http://www.baylor.edu/content/services/document.php/178763.pdf
• Copy of Passport, I-94 card, I-20, and Visa
Please make an appointment.