Graduate Study in Asian Studies
The Asian Studies program provides opportunities for study and research of the diverse societies that inhabit the Asian continent, from the Ural Mountains to Southeast Asia. The program takes as its geographical focus the regions of Eurasia and the Asia-Pacific. Interdisciplinary in approach, the program spans the fields of economics, foreign languages, history, political science, sociology, and religion, and is dedicated to providing opportunities for foreign study and field experiences Through its major, minor, and concentration curricula, the Asian Studies program is designed to provide students with a solid foundation to pursue careers in government service, business, and nongovernmental organizations, as well as for further study.
While no graduate degree is offered in Asian Studies, the following courses are approved for graduate credit in other programs.
AST 4305 Modern China (HIS 4305)
AST 4310 Societies and Cultures of East Asia (ANT 4310)
AST 4325 Asian International Relations (PSC 4325)
AST 4335 Asian Economic Development (ECO 4335)
AST 4340 East Asian Philosophy (PHI 4340)
AST 4350 Seminar in Asian Studies
AST 4364 Governments and Politics of East Asia (PSC 4364)
AST 4374 Governments and Politics of East Asia (PSC 4374)
AST 4376 Asian Literature in Translation (MFL 4376)
AST 4V80 Contemporary Issues in Asian Studies
AST 4390 Reading and Research in Asian Studies (PSC 4390)
B.A. in Asian Studies
Requirements for a Major in Asian Studies
A. All specific and group requirements for the bachelor of arts degree, including HIS 1305 and HIS 1307.
B. Thirty semester hours, satisfied by completing:
- Twelve hours from the Area Studies Core
- Eighteen hours from the Asian Studies Core
C. There are two versions of the major:
- General version of the major requires the completion of the above requirements.
- Intensive version of the major requires the completion of a directed research project (AST 4390 Directed Reading and Research in Asian Studies) or a study abroad or internship experience in Asia. If AST 4390 is counted for hours in the major, a petition must be filed to document completion of this requirement for the Intensive version.
D. Fourteen semester hours in a modern Asian language, satisfied by completing one of the following sequences:
- Japanese 1401, 1402, 2310, and 2320
- Korean 1401, 1402, 2310, and 2320
- Chinese 1401, 1402, 2310, and 2320
Coursework in other Asian languages, including Russian, Central Asian languages (Kazakh, Uzbek, etc.), Punjabi, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. may be substituted with permission from the advisor.
Thirty semester hours including the following:
A. Group I - Asian Studies Core (18 hours required)
- AST 2380 Peoples/Culture of Asia
- AST 3305/HIS 3305 Traditional China
- AST 3307/HIS 3307 Japan
- AST 3315/GEOG 3315 Geography of East Asia
- AST 3390 Special Studies and Projects
- AST 3V80 Contemporary Issues in Asian Studies
- AST 4V80 Contemporary Issues in Asian Studies
- AST 4305/HIS 4305 Modern China
- AST 4310/ANT 4310 Societies and Cultures of East Asia
- AST 4325/PSC 4325 Asian International Relations
- AST 4335/ECO 4335 Asian Economic Development
- AST 4340/PHI 4340 East Asian Philosophy
- AST 4344/PSC 4344 Government and Politics of Russia
- AST 4346/REL 4346 Religions of India, China, and Japan
- AST 4350 Seminar in Asian Studies
- AST 4364/PSC 4364 Governments and Politics of the Asia-Pacific Region
- AST 4374/PSC 4374 Governments and Politics of East Asia
- AST 4376/MFL 4376 Asian Literature in Translation
- CHN 3301 Chinese Conversation, Composition, and Readings I
- CHN 3302 Chinese Conversation, Composition, and Readings II
- CHN 3V70 Special Problems
- CHI 4301 Chinese Lit and Culture I
- CHS 4376 Eastern Perspectives on Church and State
- JPN 3301 Japanese Reading Development
- JPN 3302 Japanese Reading Skills
- JPN 3303 Japanese Conversation and Composition
- JPN 3304 Japanese Civilization
B. Group II. Area Studies Courses (12 hours required)
- ANT 1310/GEOG 1310 Cultural Geography
- ANT 2305 Anthropology in Global Context
- AST 3314/PCS 3314 Politics and Problems of Developing Countries
- AST 3345/REL 3345/MH 3345 World Religions
- AST 4338/ECO 4338/INB 4338 Economic Systems of the World
- GEOG 1300 World Geography
- PSC 3304 Comparative Government
- PSC 4315 Political Geography
Minor in Asian Studies
A. Eighteen semester hours chosen from the list of Asian Studies Core courses for the major (see above).
B. The degree language requirement must be met with a modern Asian language.
Enhancing the program of Asian Studies at Baylor are year-abroad, study-for-credit programs in Japan, China, and other Asian countries. For additional information or for academic advisement, contact the advisor.