Baylor > Campus Recreation > Aquatics > Safety Education > Instructor Course
First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Course
The purpose of this instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach American CPR basic-level First Aid, CPR and AED courses. Following successful completion of the course requirements, participants will be certified as an instructor for a two year period.
To participate in the course, instructor candidates must:
- Be at least 16 years of age on the last day of the instructor course.
- Possess current American CPR First Aid, CPR and/or AED certification(s) or the equivalent.
- Pass First Aid/CPR/AED instructor pre-course test (with score 80 percent or better).
Bring your Baylor ID card and sign-up at the SLC Front Desk. Accepted payment types include: cash, check, bearbucks, F/S payroll deduction and credit card.
Seats are limited, so plan to sign-up in advance.
Max 10 students - register early!
McLane Student Life Center (SLC), Room 314
Fall 2013 Course Dates:
- Course 1: Friday, September 13th (5-10PM) & Saturday, September 14th (10AM - 6PM)
- Course 2: Wedneday, October 2nd - Friday, October 4th (5-10PM each day)
- Course 3: Friday, November 1st (5-10PM) & Saturday, November 2nd (10AM - 6PM)
At the conclusion of the First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor course, instructor candidates should be thoroughly familiar with the program materials and should be able to:
- Exhibit the characteristics required of an American CPR Training representative and role model
- Conduct courses in a manner that helps participants to stay engaged in the learning process
- Perform applicable first aid, CPR and AED skills at an appropriate skill level
- Ensure participants' health and safety during training
- Maintain complete and accurate records and reports
- Plan, organize and conduct the first aid, CPR and AED courses in accordance with the requirements of the specific class they will be teaching
- Monitor participants' practice and provide corrective feedback and encouragement that is consistent with the skill chart
- Recognize that the requirements in the skill assessment tool are criteria for ascertaining the proficiency of a participant's performance
- Choose the appropriate course and materials to meet the specific training needs of participants or groups
To be certified as an instructor, candidates must:
- Successfully complete prerequisite requirement
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions
- Successfully complete class activities including two practice-teaching assignments
- Score at least 80 percent (20 correct answers out of 25 questions) on the instructor written exam
Must obtain and retain the new First Aid/CPR/AED participant and instructor materials.