The Center for Professional Selling
Dedicated to excellence in sales education and based in the university's Hankamer School of Business, the Center for Professional Selling is recognized as one of the premier global information resources for the sales profession.
To achieve excellence in sales education, the Center for Professional Selling:
- Provides premier education through a world-class curriculum and developmental programs
- Expands the frontiers of sales knowledge in academic research
- Promotes professional selling and sales management as vital to the success of industry and society
- Strengthens the relationship between business and academia through programs that foster a blending of the unique competencies of each
To accomplish its mission and objectives, the Center for Professional Selling engages in educational, developmental and research functions - all focused on promoting excellence in the fields of professional selling and sales management.
The Professional Selling Major
"According to the U.S. Department of Labor, companies will lose 40% of senior talent by 2016."
(Harvard Business Review, July-August 2012, p. 97)
Baylor University's Professional Selling Major is a competitive major supported by Baylor's Center for Professional Selling. The selective nature of the program allows four full-time faculty to know and engage in each student's learning and development.
The students who apply to the major are bright (average GPA of approximately 3.3). In addition to strong IQ, these students all share a desire to impact others' lives. All of the students graduating with a Sales degree from Baylor University are consistently among the strongest in the nation.
The ProSales Program is framed along three distinctive competencies, which anchor the student experience in the program:
ProSales students complete seven courses in the major:
- Curriculum is benchmarked annually against 40+ other university programs (including members of the University Sales Center Alliance)
- All ProSales courses are all offered in the Baylor model (courses have fewer than 20 students)
- Students are truly engaged in these courses, experience an accelerated learning/training model, and have strong personal relationships with their teaching faculty, holding them more accountable for personal and professional growth
Baylor has a very intentional approach to helping students make this key life transition:
- Our student-run Professional Development Program (PDP) includes key events:
- First Wednesday speakers share career paths and experiences (monthly)
- Personal Branding Workshops ensure students know how to build their personal brand (each semester)
- Successful Internship Workshops (each semester)
- Marketing and Professional Selling Career Fairs (each semester)
- ProSales students participate in a Top Gun Training program each semester, ensuring they are "market ready"
- ProSales students engage in numerous competitions which helps them hone their skills
- Baylor provides the financial support for each student to compete in at least one external competition
- ProSales majors participate in the Baylor Business Sell-Off
- All ProSales majors participate in the annual ProSales Golf Links golf tournament with Board members and members of the business community
The ProSales program develops students' ability to think and work collaboratively by teaching, coaching, and pushing students to operate with a win-win mentality.
- Baylor students learn that optimal results happen when both parties (buyer and seller) win
- Students learn how to speak to employers on behalf of other students