We are now accepting applications. Please read the information below very carefully.
For initial acceptance into the program, students will need to complete and/or turn in the following:
- Complete the Application Questionnaire on BearsAbroad.
- Click here for Step By Step BearsAbroad Instructions (PDF)
- $500 deposit must accompany your application. Once you are accepted to the program, the deposit is applied to your program fee. This deposit is non-refundable. All deposits will be made through the "e-deposits" tab on your student account. Program fees are not refundable after the start of the program unless there is a medical emergency which is verified in writing from a medical authority, for which a partial refund may be due to you.
- Current passport (if student does not have a passport or it is not current, the process will need to be initiated upon initial application)
- All applicants will also need to meet with the Program Director, Colene Coldwell, to be granted acceptance into the program. Please email Professor Coldwell to set up a meeting time.
Once a student has been accepted into the program, the following materials will need to be collected before March 15, 2017:
- Copy of Yellow Fever immunization card
- Complete immunization records
- Passport scan
- Birth Certificate scan
- Release forms (will be sent to students once accepted into the program)
- Payment of remaining program fee balance ($500 deposit will be applied to program fee)
To begin, please follow this link: Apply for the Program on BearsAbroad.
- Click "Apply Now" on the Social Entrepreneurship in Africa page
- Log in with your Bear ID and Password
- Select "May Minimester"
- On your BearsAbroad dashboard, click "Application Questionnaire" and complete all quesitonnaire questions
Please contact Michelle Downs with any questions about BearsAbroad by e-mail or by phone at 254-710-6240.
Acceptance into the program is based (1) review of your completed application, (2) your personal meeting with Professor Coldwell, (3) submission of required materials, and (4) your ability to meet the criteria below.
If accepted, you will receive an acceptance message by email. Your deposit check will be then deposited and your spot will be secured!
Please note the additional criteria for acceptance:
- GPA must be above 2.75. If your GPA is below 2.75, you may still apply but you will not be guaranteed acceptance into the program. Acceptance will be left to the discretion of the program director.
- You must not currently be on academic probation or suspension.
- You must not be placed on academic probation or suspended between the time you are accepted in to the program and the departure date. If you are placed on probation after your spot is secured, you risk losing your spot and forfeiting your deposit.
- If, prior to departure, circumstances arise that call a student's behavior into question, he or she may become ineligible for participation at the discretion of the program director.
If you are not granted acceptance into the program, your deposit will be returned. If you are accepted into the program, then you later choose not to participate, $500 of your deposit will be forfeited.