The 2011 Baylor-USASBE Student Case Writing Competition was held at the USASBE (United States Association of Small Business Education) Conference at Hilton Head, South Carolina on January 13, 2011.
Cash prizes were $2,000 for first place, $1,000 for second place; and $500 for third place.
Competition award winners were:
- First place
- Queens University of Charlotte
- Student presenters: Jud Allen and Margaret Jane Willoughby
- Case title: "U.S. National Whitewater Center"
- Second place
- IBS Hyderabad, India
- Student presenters: Somaditya Das and Wasim Kalwa
- Case title: "SKS Microfinance: Managing Growth and Continuity of a Social Enterprise"
- Third Place
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- Student presenters: Ryan Karlin and Rois Langner
- Case title: "Tendril Networks, Inc."
The finalists also presented at the meeting before three judges.
- The finalists were
- Samford University
- Student case writers: Devon Bagwell, Noel Dowling, Will Satterfield, Heather Williams
- Case title: "Alabama Air Shuttle: Fight or Flight?"
- Memorial University, St. John's, Newfoundland
- Student case writer: Megan Denty
- Case title: "The Road to the Beaches"
- Wayne State University
- Student case writer: Linda Rusin
- Case title: "Where Has All the IP Gone?"
"I was very pleased with the response from students from all over the world--especially since this was our first year for this competition. It is our hope that even more student cases will be submitted by their faculty supervisors for the competition this year," Baylor professor of management Marlene Reed said.