Advancing Liberal Education in the 21st Century
Act of Determination 3 -- Investing in Teaching
As the landscape of higher education continues to shift, faculty must have appropriate technology to implement cutting-edge pedagogies. Faculty members will assess these choices strategically in light of Baylor’s goals and the traditional emphasis on student-faculty interaction, both in students’ majors and in general education courses.
I. Improving Pedagogy
- By Summer 2014 the Dean’s Office will meet with representatives of the Provost’s Office to encourage the inclusion of liberal education values in course content and in all instruction for general education courses for the New Faculty Orientation.
- The Dean’s Office will meet with representatives of the Academy for Teaching and Learning (ATL) by Spring 2015 to develop pedagogical programming to foster exchanges among the faculty in various disciplines.
- The Dean’s Office will provide a report of these activities to the Council of Chairs by Spring 2015.
II. Improving Technology-Enhanced Learning
- By Fall 2014 the Dean will form a committee to act as a resource for technological innovations in the classroom (i.e., MOOCs, edX, Coursera), to maintain an inventory of best technology-based practices, and to provide periodic feedback to the Dean, Council of Chairs, and Information Technology Services (ITS).
- The committee will provide a report of its findings to the Council of Chairs by Spring 2015.