Guidelines For 1st Call to Prayer
Opening prayer: The leader starts with an opening prayer of praise and adoration. Once they are confident that everyone has been given the opportunity to pray on that topic, then they may offer a prayer of thanksgiving.
Inspiration: A brief message and scripture on the focus of the month.
Prayer time: Once the group has shared the inspiration time, the leader voices a prayer request and the group will lift up those on the list of requests and others in their hearts. These do not have to be elaborated. Simply reading the prayer requests and praises from the Internet would be appropriate. This segment should last approximately 20-30 minutes.
Dismiss: The leader ends the session with a closing prayer and extends an invitation to stay and fellowship.
Monthly Prayer Focus
Listed below are the monthly topics and suggestions for related prayers that are particularly relevant for college students.
- Pray for the changes in our children’s lives, the changes in our own lives and in the new circumstances we all will face. Each college year brings new classes, new professors, new friends, a new home, new emptiness and new growth.
- Pray for the clutter in each student’s life and that each will prioritize, organize and use time wisely as change is taking place daily.
- Pray for a commitment to God, to family, to each class, to a job, to their college goal, to friends and to service.
- Pray for the knowledge that accountability starts with God and that the commitment to Him demands faithfulness.
- Pray for spiritual growth.
- Pray for the day-to-day choices and the moment-to-moment decisions. The importance of these cannot be overestimated.
- Pray to loosen the burden of running their own lives, our own lives, and that God may do the work He desires through each of us.
- Pray for the opportunity to minister with the heart.
- Pray for character and the privilege to be an encourager.
- Pray that your child will be surrounded by generous hearts and that he/she will not only be a good friend, but will develop lasting positive friendships at college.
- Pray for a vision for your child so that you can help him/her obey God�s call.
- Pray for motivation to follow God’s plan and the fuel needed to pursue His passion. Pray for obedience because the result is growth.
February: COURAGE OF CONVICTIONS
- Pray for a bold Christianity.
- Pray for obedience, discipline and alertness in daily spiritual battles.
- Pray for your child and his/her friends to be prepared.
- Pray for an open and honest source of communication with each relationship.
- Pray for the ability to listen and to identify God’s voice. Pray for friends and family.
- Pray for your child’s future mate. Pray that your child will not settle for anything that God has not planned for him or her.
- Pray for parents to be wise in conversations as parent/child relationships also are changing and growing into adult relationships.
- Pray for the control of each day.
- Pray to remain focused, prepared and to be strong in the Lord.
- Pray that if asked to go one mile, the heartfelt desire will be there to go two.
- Pray for bold faith, because faith and confidence in God go hand-in-hand.
- Pray for discernment to say "no" to things that would hinder the duties and ultimate work that God has in store.
- Praise God for this year and the opportunities that we have had to grow in confidence as we have made our requests known to Him.