March 20, 2013
For the first time in school history, seven current Baylor head coaches hold their programs' records for career wins. The Magnificent Seven: Jim Barnes (volleyball), Marci Jobson (soccer), Matt Knoll (men's tennis), Glenn Moore (softball), Kim Mulkey (women's basketball), Joey Scrivano (women's tennis), and Steve Smith, BSED '86 (baseball).
That's seven out of the nine Baylor NCAA sports that measure traditional wins and losses; the other 10 varsity sports either perform in larger meets (cross country, track, golf) or are not yet full NCAA sports (equestrian, acrobatics and tumbling).
The two NCAA-sport coaches that don't yet hold their programs' records are Art Briles (football) and Scott Drew (men's basketball). Grant Teaff's longevity (21 seasons) may keep any coach from setting a new record in football, but Drew is likely one good season away from breaking Bill Henderson's men's basketball record that has stood for more than 50 years.
Jim Barnes (volleyball)
- 155-133 (.538) in 9 seasons at BU
- Led program to 1st Sweet 16 (2009)
- Coached 1st 2 All-Americans in program history
Marci Jobson (soccer)
- 58-29-18 (.638) in 5 seasons at BU
- Led program to 1st Sweet 16 (2012)
- Former U.S. National Team member
Matt Knoll (men's tennis)
- 377-100 (.790) in 16 seasons at BU*
- 6-time Big 12 Coach of the Year
- 10 Big 12 titles, 4 Final Fours, & 1 NCAA team title
Glenn Moore (softball)
- 475-244 (.661) in 12 seasons at BU*
- Led program to 1st 2 College World Series (2007, 2011)
- 7 NCAA postseason appearances
Kim Mulkey (women's basketball)
- 338-79 (.811) in 12 seasons at BU*
- 1st BU coach ever to win 2 national titles (2005, 2012)
- 5th-winningest coach in NCAA history by winning percentage
Joey Scrivano (women's tennis)
- 243-64 (.792) in 10 seasons at BU*
- 3-time Big 12 Coach of the Year
- 14 Big 12 titles, 5 Elite Eights & 2 Final Fours
Steve Smith (baseball)
- 668-432-1 (.607) in 18 seasons at BU*
- Winningest coach in BU history (any sport)
- 2005 USA National Team head coach
Are you looking for more News?