Students should only pursue an alternative loan as a last resort.
- These are credit-based loans in the student's name. Interest rates vary from lender to lender.
- Available to all students who can be approved by a lender.
- Student is credit-approved for this loan with the lender of their choice. Students usually need a credit-worthy co-signer for these loans.
- The amount is not to exceed the student's Cost of Attendance minus the student's financial aid.
- The student must reapply with their lender each year they want the loan. Some lenders require the student to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), and maintain at least half-time enrollment. Check with your lender.
To apply, choose a lender you prefer and apply directly with them. These loans usually require a credit-worthy co-signer. If you are approved, your lender will notify us and request that we certify your enrollment and amount of eligibility.
Check the Status of Your Alternative Loan
You can check on the status of your alternative loan by contacting your lender.
You can find an Alternative Lender list by going here. Students are not restricted to the lenders on this list, and they may choose any lender they prefer.