The Effects of Schedule Changes
A debt is established on a school when:
- The student never attended classes for which he/she was certified regardless of the reason for non-attendance
- The student completely withdraws on or before the first day of the term. If student reduces, the debt is a student debt
- The school received payment for the wrong student
- The school received a duplicate payment
- The school submitted an amended enrollment certification and reported reduced tuition and fee charges, reduced Yellow Ribbon amount, or reduced both. (Reductions based on student�s action should be reported on a 1999B with the changes in the enrollment and will result in a debt to the student.)
- The student died during the term, or before start of the term
- VA issued payment above the amount certified on the enrollment certification that was used to process the payment (VA data entry error)
A debt is established on the student for tuition/fees/yellow ribbon when:
- The student withdrew after the first day of the term (FDOT)
- If the student completely withdrew on the FDOT, treat as if student never attended
- The student reduced hours whether the reduction occurred before or during the term
- If the student attended at least one day of any of the classes certified and a payment has been issued, any debt created by the reduction/withdrawal should be charged to the student
- The school submitted a change in enrollment (1999b) and reported a reduction in tuition, fees, and/or Yellow Ribbon due to student action reducing or terminating training.
- If a student drops a course and adds a course so that there is no net change in training time, any change to tuition, fees, and/or Yellow Ribbon is a student debt. Schools must refund tuition and fee payments to students in accordance with their established refund policies, so that the students can resolve over-payments.
Contact information for VA:
For information on what caused a debt, contact the Education Call Center at the VA Regional Office:
VA Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
Education Case Managers are available 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday. The system�s automated functions can provide information about benefits, applications, etc., and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For Debt Collection Information, contact the VA Debt Management Center (DMC):
VA Debt Management Center
P.O. Box 11930
St. Paul, MN 55111-0930
Business hours are 7:30 am to 12:15 pm and 12:45 pm to 6:00 pm, Central Time. Mondays and the first business day of the month are always the busiest. The best times to call on those days are 10:30 am to 12:15 pm and 1:15 pm to 3:00 pm, Central Time.
If you cannot reach the DMC by phone, try later in the day or consider e-mailing: email@example.com. There is specific information about debt resolution on the DMC web-site.