J-1 Scholar Categories
J-1 Exchange Visitors at Baylor University fall into one of the following categories:

Professor: a professor is an individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor. Cannot be a tenure track position.

Minimum stay of three weeks required
Maximum stay of five years

Research Scholar: a research scholar is an individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

Minimum stay of three weeks required
Maximum stay of five years

Short-term Scholar: a short-term scholar is an individual coming to the US for a period of up to six months to lecture, observe, consult, and participate in seminars, workshops, conferences, study tours, professional meetings, or similar types of educational and professional activities.

No minimum stay required
Maximum stay of six months (NOTE: no extensions beyond six months under any circumstances)

Students: Students must be admitted to a "full course of study" in a degree program or be engaged full time in a Non-Degree course of study. J-1 students cannot be totally funded by personal or family funds as F-1 student can. All J-1 students and dependents are also required to carry health insurance. The J category may subject the student to a two-year home residence requirement, where the F-1does not.

Degree Seeking - must be enrolled full-time, making academic progress, maintain valid unexpired DS-2019, maintain health insurance and avoid unauthorized employment. J-1Students are eligible for Academic Training following completion of their degree for a period of 18 months.

Non-Degree Seeking - students must be engaged in full course of study and can participate in a Non-degree program for no more than 24 months. Students cannot matriculate from non-degree to degree seeking.